Monday, February 7, 2011

College Garter

I don't plan on doing a garter toss at the wedding. None of the weddings we've gone to in the past year have done it, and I just feel a little uncomfortable with the whole thing. However, that being said....I do think that garters are cute for pictures and even though we may not do the garter toss...that doesn't mean I still don't want one. ;)

I was inspired by this picture of my friend Mandy at her wedding last May. Her and her now husband met at Syracuse and she had the cutest Syracuse Garter at her wedding.
Sarah Dicicco Photography

Unfortunately Wagner College, where Chris and I both went, doesn't sell such things, so I had to improvise. I got a fun green and white garter at a bar I was at for Saint Patrick's day a few year's ago. They were handing them out for free, and it said the name of the bar on it. I still had this stored away in a pile of stuff and thought..."Well, why not make this work?" So, I covered the bar name up with a blank mailing label, and cut the excess off around it.

Then, I used word to type Wagner College and added a picture of the school's crest below. I had to print it a few times to get the right size. It was harder than I thought to line this up onto the oval piece because I was working with a large rectangular label. But, eventually I was able to center it as best I could, and again, cut away the excess blank label. The result:
Not too bad...I may not even wear this that day, but I think it's cute, and it would be nice to incorporate it into a picture or two just like Mandy did! And hey if not, no biggie...because total cost= FREE!


Are you doing a garter toss?

6 comments:

Irene said...

We did the garter toss but did not have it taken off my leg because I was uncomfortable with that whole thing also. The uproar over not doing it made it seem like the marriage was doomed and the world was coming to an end! Haha! You have to do what makes you happy cuzz it's your day. And look at us--the world hass't ended and dad and I are still together despite not having a garter removed from my leg! Whoda' thunk!

Heather said...

Super cute! I think you should definitely work it into a picture or two, even if you don't wear it all day.

twitter.com/vereb said...

What a great pic of Mandy!! That is super cute. I agree w/ you on the garter thing. I think its trashy. You can wear that garter on your bachelorette b/c Kristin and I have a fun game lol. That puppy will get used one way or another. You're so crafty - you're like a Martha Stewart I actually have access to.

Laura @ Wine and Cheese, Please said...

I really want an Ohio State garter, but I think it's too late for me to get one. We aren't doing the garter toss either, but I thought it might be fun to wear one :)

Too cute!

Irene said...

I am totally shocked by the lack of garter throwing at your weddings.My how times have changed!

Unknown said...

How thrifty you are lady!! That's awesome! I'm pretty sure our college doesn't sell garters either... But this is a fun idea!